All better now.
finished garment. It seemed like the dress had ideas of its own, with those bothersome gathers on the sides of the skirt back pushing out almost horizontally in a very unflattering way. After fielding suggestions from some of you talented sewists and stylists, and after consultation with my sewing guru, I decided to:
1. Unpick each end of the seam attaching the back yoke to the skirt back about 6 or 7 inches,
2. Ungather the first 2-3 inches of fabric from the side seam in, and
3. Make a big ol' pleat to use up the excess fabric.
4. Sew it all back together.
Given this fabric is so lightweight, it didn't weigh the skirt down enough to keep those multi-directional puckers from happening. The pleats make a HUGE difference in my comfort and confidence wearing this dress, but the silhouette is still VOLUMINOUS, and after seeing the photos I took today of the dress from the side and straight on, I think I will make the same alterations to the front next spring.
Pattern review will be posted tomorrow. Have a great weekend, everyone!!!!!!!