Spurred on by the results from the last men's shirt refashion, I went for another instant gratification project:Like the last men's shirt refashion, this one has a draped bodice (thank heaven for Clementine and her flawless posture and perfectly symmetrical body) and BurdaStyle JJ sleeves/ cuffs. Unlike the last men's shirt refashion, I kept the entire collar, shoulder seam, and front placket from the original shirt. Also, the casing is on the outside of the shirt instead of inside, features a natural waist instead of empire, and has self drawstrings sewn to elastic ends instead of just elastic. That covers the major bases.
This is the first men's size Small I've refashioned from. And there was very little left by way of fabric when the new shirt was done -- just the skinniest little scraps, seams from the old shirt, etc. Adding to the challenge was this big gash (and a couple of smaller cuts in the fabric) in the right sleeve:
But you know me: always up for a challenge! :) Not sure I am in love with the waist at the sides -- too poufy. I played around with the gathering forever and I can't get the sides to hang exactly how I see it in my head. A strategically placed dart or two would probably help. Maybe raising the waistline by 1/2 inch would, too. Next time, next time...
I picked this shirt b/c it works well with black pants, the fabric is 100% cotton, it has a nice sheen and perfect collar, and the front placket is turned inside the shirt and is narrow. It's so awesome to work with a high-quality garment.
Tomorrow I'm headed to Ottawa to work for a few days. Yes, on one of the most historic days in our nation's history, I'm leaving the country. Regardless, I'd like to prowl around the area for fabric, vintage, and thrift stores, so if you have any personal recommendations, please leave a comment with info! [I've got a list from Google and some recommendations from sewists on PatternReview.com.]
Have a great week!!!